Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday night thoughts

Our book for our book group this month is Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I've been trying to read it, and the story isn't that bad. I just feel like I'm reading Dickens, or Hugo. All these paragraphs describing these minute details of a hill or a bird or something that I could just care less about. I want to know what is going to happen between Gabriel and Bathsheba!! Get to the point! I'm doing better with this book than I did with the last one. Last month was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I got to page 35 and had to stop. I was done. I'm not a big sci-fi fan in the first place, but I did give it a try. Next month is Freakonomics. Looking forward to that one.

Both my kids and my husband have been home for the last two weeks. While that can be great, it can also be terrible. We've had wet and then freezing weather, which makes it very hard for children to get their energy out by playing outside. And, with everyone home, my house has been a wreck. There have been lots of arguments and fights between my children too. And then this last week my husband got sick, and hasn't been able to do the things that he was wanting to do. I have to admit, I am looking forward to having the house to myself tomorrow to do what needs to be done without the distractions of other people in my house.

This last week, for the third time, I was asked for the name and number of my therapist. This might seem funny to be glad about something like that, but I am. I am glad that I am open enough to share with others that I see one. All of us are struggling with so many things, I wish there were less shame and more empowerment when it came to seeing a therapist, counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist. Trying to make positive changes in your life is brave, and should be applauded, not looked down on. I hope that the friends I've referred get what they need.

I guess that is only three things. And now that I've got that out of my system, I am off to bed. Or at least I'll go to bed soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment