Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Birthdays

Day 8 prompt here.

Birthdays are weird for me.  I always felt awkward when people would sing to me, or make a big deal about it.  My mom would make a big deal out of all of our birthdays, and I was never very comfortable with that.

Birthdays are still weird for me as an adult.  Like, yay it's my birthday, I get to do laundry, and deal with arguing kids, and make dinner.  YAY.  And I usually buy myself gifts, rather than expect my husband to do it.  It just works out better in the long run.  Also, our birthdays are four days apart, so we usually go out to dinner and call it good.  And we each buy ourselves our own gifts.

My kids birthdays are still awkward for me.  I try to do what they want, rather than doing what I want.  Sometimes that means having ten nine year old girls in my house.  Other times it means a trip to the trampoline place.

Birthdays are just weird and awkward.  I don't know why they are so awkward for me.  I would like to avoid them.  Not because I don't want to grow old, but I don't like being the center of attention, I don't like all eyes on me.  I prefer to sit quietly, on the side, observing.  And that just seems impossible on a birthday.  Everyone wants you to be the center of attention, even if you don't want it.  Ugh.  Why are birthdays so hard???  I even removed my birthday from my facebook profile on purpose.  I am very uncomfortable with facebook birthday wishes.  They just seems so fake.  So empty.

Birthdays are just so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment