Tuesday, January 3, 2012


Last night a friend asked if I had made any new years resolutions. And the answer is no. Mostly because I rarely make them. And another reason is that I am more worried about just getting everything done in January before this baby comes.

We have moved, and I was able to get to the doctor. She informed me that even though I've had two previous (emergency) c-sections, that I could still elect to choose a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean)(that is what the spell check suggested, so hopefully it is right). I was very surprised. I guess about six months ago things changed, and somehow I was unaware. Which kind of threw me into a bit of a tailspin. I had just been anticipating a c-section, and had no thought of actual labor. I am a good candidate. The reasons for my c-sections weren't because of my body, it was because the first was breech, and the second she had the cord wrapped around her, and after four hours of pushing, she refused to come out. I also am not over weight, so if the docs had to go in and take care of a problem quickly, they wouldn't have to cut through layers of fat to get to the baby, or my uterus. After I had my second baby, they said that there was very little scar tissue from the first one, so that plays into my favor as well.

So, I still don't know what to do. I've read about the risks, and I know what the pro's of it are as well. C-section recovery totally sucks, especially after going through labor before having to have one. It would be nice to not have a two week recovery.

After I had Superhero, the nurse told me that I would always have to have c-sections after this. And for some reason that was devastating to me. I've been through labor, and man it sucks. Contractions are terrible, and trying to hold still for an epidural is no easy thing. Pushing is exhausting. I think it all goes back to what my expectations were. And same for now. I was expecting to have a c-section.....and now I have a choice!

I'm torn. I just don't know. 60-80% of women that try a VBAC are successful. Even after two previous c-sections. But on the other hand I've never had a scheduled c-section, without labor. I've always been to the point of shaking uncontrollably, of being exhausted before that happens. Maybe the recovery would be better.....I don't know. My husband has suggested that a VBAC would be a good choice, but really, this is all up to me. I feel like I need a crystal ball or something so that I can know what the right choice is.

I started writing this earlier, and now tonight, I feel that I am leaning towards a VBAC. But I still don't know for sure.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have this decision to make!!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you should just go with your gut instinct on this one. If you decide to go with a VBAC and things change when you're actually in labor, you still have the c-section option to fall back on. Just go with your best plan and then if it is meant to work out that way, it will. You've already faced a long delivery with contractions with your first baby. I think that you are stronger than you think you are and can definitely handle a VBAC delivery.