Monday, January 16, 2012

It's ticking away

I have about a month left before I have this baby. We've been in our new house for a little over a month, and things are kind of put together. It is slow going as we are getting used to the altitude, and I am now at the point where it's trying to unpack as well as the regular house cleaning stuff like bathrooms and laundry.

We have had to buy a few big things since being here. We bought this from Ikea as the kitchen would not fit any of my polish pottery. And we also got these from Ikea as well. We got the 8 box ones, and then the 4 box ones. I need to get back there so I can get a few more baskets. The bookshelves we had weren't going to work well, and really, I got most of them on clearance at Walmart and Lowes. And we'll be able to use them in the kids rooms and in the basement.

After we got this stuff, I realized that we hadn't bought one thing for this baby, other than a few clothes I had picked up on clearance from the PX. No car seat. No stroller. We kept the crib we were given before Superhero was born, as well as the bassinet. In fact, when Superhero was born we were given one of those Graco travel system things. As we weren't rolling in the dough back then, I was grateful, and we used that until it died. The problem with most strollers is that, for me, they don't come up high enough. I'm usually having to bend my back at an angle that can really get uncomfortable. As well as most of those lower end strollers have plastic wheels. I hate plastic wheels. They don't go over anything. Pushing Superhero around Germany on cobblestones just about killed me. So I decided the next time we bought a stroller, it would not have plastic wheels, and the handlebar had to adjust up and down. The problem is, Graco, Evenflo, Safety First, and all those brands you see at Target and Walmart do not make anything like that. So I've done my homework. The only ones that have those features are freaking expensive. I'm sure you've heard of the Bugaboo strollers or Quinny strollers. Brand new, there is NO WAY I can afford to spend that much on a stroller. Especially since this may be our last kid, and that would be ridiculous to spend that much on something for only one kid. So, I have been trolling Craigslist to see if I can find a used one for much less. Well, since we've moved, no luck on the Bugaboo cameleon stroller, but I think I've hit the jackpot for the Quinny. At least I hope so. (the guy got back to me so we'll see if he has the adapter for the car seat and if he does, it's a win!)

(about an hour later)

I am now trying to find the car seat that can go to the dang stroller. It comes with an adapter for it, but trying to find one in my area on Craigslist has not been working. Of course when I check Los Angeles (where I once lived and still have family and friends) I found not only the car seat but the car seat in the right color. I know babies don't know what color their seat is, and it's mostly just for the adults. But dang it, I cannot abide a pink car seat for a boy. I can't. I don't want a pink car seat ever, even if I was having a girl. I mean, I would get it if that were my only option, but if I have a choice, no way. I realize I sound snobby about this whole stroller and car seat thing. I guess I am an older mom with experience, and I know what I want.

I'm down to a month left to get a dang car seat. Maybe if I'm patient one will show up, in the right color, and the right price range. Otherwise that baby will have to stay at the hospital for a lot longer. (I joke. But I believe it is a law that you have an infant seat for the infant otherwise they cannot let you leave the hospital. I read that somewhere......)

Perhaps the Craigslist gods will provide in a few days. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment