Sunday, August 22, 2010

Just the smell of them

Every summer, for my entire life up until I left to go on a mission to France, we went to our family reunion. It was the same time of year, in the same place. Fresno, CA.

Have you ever driven the 5 through central California?? As you go north on the 5 and get over the grapevine, all you see are farms. Almond trees. And I'm sure other nut trees. Grapevines. I don't even know all of them.

At the family reunion, we had fresh peaches and fresh cantaloupe with every meal. When we needed tomatoes, they were also fresh. And I mean not just from the store. They would go to the farm to get them. Glorious red onions. The smell of fresh late summer fruit always reminds me of the reunion. But I hate peaches. (My mother bought 5 lugs one year. We had them in our van the entire drive home. Then in the heat of August in Southern California in a house that did not have AC, we had to help her can all 5 lugs. I think even my underwear smelled like peaches that day.)

Yesterday I ran to the store to pick up a few things. As I walked through the produce section, I smelled that familiar smell. And I just couldn't help it. I came home with quarter of a watermelon, a cantaloupe, a honeydew, a few white peaches, red plums, and red grapes. I had gone to the store just to get some romaine and milk.

We had the melons with our dinner last night and they were so good.

I couldn't make it to the reunion this year. I went last year for the first time in about 6 years. Kind of hoping we make it next year. Want to keep up the tradition.

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately for me, I don't think i'll ever get sick of the reunion peaches. So. Good.

    ReplyDelete