Monday, August 23, 2010

Here's what I'm going to do

Both my kids will be starting school soon (hooray!) and I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with both of them gone all day. While watching TV, cross stitching, eating treats, getting pedicures, and spending hours at the gym sounds very tempting-and which I still will occasionally do-I've come up with a better use of my time.

I have some friends. One that is involved with this non profit, and another friend who founded and now runs this orphanage for this non profit. (he's the blond in the picture) Between those two things, plus my growing desire to do some good in the world, I have decided to find ways to help out my local community. We have both Eagles and Lions in our small town. Plus a food bank, thrift store, and I'm sure other things that I'm not aware of. My church also has a group that meets once a week to prepare and make humanitarian items for our church. (If all they are doing is sewing, I may have to rethink that one, but I'll find other ways to help.) I need to get involved in a little of this stuff.

I am also hoping to help out with my kids classrooms. I have never helped before, and now that I don't have to worry about getting a sitter, I am going to hopefully be able to help out with each of their classes.

There is a time and a season for all things. My season right now is to mostly be a parent to my children. But that doesn't mean I can't fit in a few other things, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment