Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Unexpected

Yesterday, my husband called and said that we needed to get a babysitter for the kids that could stay overnight. Which was a little surprising.

Our ten year anniversary is this week. I had decided that I wasn't going to say anything OR have any expectations about what we would be doing. We are going to my parents at the end of the summer, so I just assumed we would try and go away for a few days then, and leave the kids with my parents. But, as he told me yesterday on the phone, if you don't do it near the date, it doesn't count. (who knew??) He also said we could even go out on the day (which is not the weekend) but I said that we probably shouldn't. The kids go to an MMA gym in the next town twice a week, and it wasn't cheap. I don't want them to miss any days.

This is very uncharacteristic of him. I was pretty surprised at the whole thing. Because, with him, holidays and anniversaries aren't really a huge deal. Which is fine with me. My mom would do such an overkill on holidays and birthdays that going the opposite direction really doesn't bother me too much. Our last two anniversaries have been pretty lame. Last year he was on his way home from Afghanistan, and was stuck in Germany. The year before that, we thought he would be deploying that day, and didn't plan anything. Then, of course, they didn't deploy that day and we went out to dinner, but took the kids because we didn't have a sitter and were new to the area.....

I'm pretty excited about it. I have no idea what we're doing or where exactly we're going, but you can be sure I'll be bringing my camera. And enjoying just being us. Doing stuff as a family is great. But doing stuff with each other is sometimes a little bit better.

He did say it will probably be the coolest thing we've ever done......can Friday get here sooner please?????

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! You deserve it! And congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on ten years!!! And congrats to your hubby for planning something! After 10 years of not doing anything special, I would pass out if T surprised me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Looking forward to hearing about (or reading about) your 10th anniversary adventure. Surprises definitely keep life interesting.

    ReplyDelete