Monday, September 12, 2016

Little Things

Day 5 prompt here.

I've always liked little things.  Probably because I'm not little.  Tiny cute pointless knickknacks.  Tiny houses, tiny cars.  Anyone shorter than I.  Tiny shoes.  Tiny clothes.

We would go camping a lot when I was a kid.  It usually was in the mountains, but as I got older, we camped at the beach too.  Living in Southern California, we had a lot to choose from.  We went north, to a place called Grover Beach, right next to Pismo Beach.  We could wake up, and walk to the beach before we had breakfast, before we got dressed.  I remember one year, we found hundreds of tiny sand dollars.  I have always been an avid beach comber, and for me, this was the jackpot!!!  The water was a lot colder up there, so we didn't spend too much time in the water, but we spent a lot of time on the beach.  And I collected everything I could.  All those tiny tiny sand dollars.  They were so breakable, yet had survived the waves crashing on them, for who knows how long.

As an adult, I still love tiny things. Little things. I still have a small box, lined with a tissue, full of those tiny sand dollars.  I'll keep them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment